| Just seconds old |
| Getting checked out |
Born Sunday, June 7, 2009 at 8:38pm
Weight 3lbs 0.8oz
Length 15 3/4 inches
The story......
I woke up early Sunday morning and was leaking so I called the hospital and the on call doctor told me to come in. Chad was in York, PA taking a class this past weekend. My sister is staying with us this month doing some externships for vet school so she drove me to the hospital at 6am. When I arrived I was told the my water had broke and I was dilated 3 centimeters - bad news at only 29 weeks and 1 day. Since my local hospital, St. Marys, doesn't have a level 3 NICU I was flown by helicopter to Johns Hopkins Bayview. Jenny and Chad met me there shortly after I arrived and my parents came a few hours after that. The original hope was that I could stay at Hopkins and keep him in until 34 weeks but because I continued to dilate that was not an option. Luckily I received a shot at St. Mary's to speed up our little guys lung development. As the day progressed it became apparent that probably due to an infection my water broke and our baby needed to come out. I received and epidural to help with the contraction pains and delivered him at 8:38pm after some heavy pushing.
Nathaniel is doing well so far and is actually breathing on his own. I am pumping and they have already started feeding. He does have an infection but is being treated with antibiotics. PICC line is being put in sometime today. He will be here until probably sometime in August. I am being released today (6/9/09) and will make arrangements to travel back and forth (we live about 1.5 hours from here) or stay at the McDonald house for parents some over the next couple of months. I will continue to update the blog as I can. Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers as we continue on this journey.
| Mommy's 2nd time holding Nathaniel in the NICU |
9 comments:
Congratulations on your beautiful son. Make sure you get some rest. We are keeping you in our prayers. Take care!
Beth
He is beautiful! Take care of yourself so you can take care of him. Praying for you, Chad and Nate.
Amy
Congrats...what a big boy! PICC lines are awesome, that way they don't have to poke him all the time...
Thanks girls for the words of encouagement and prayers!
I am thinking of and praying for you and your little one. Just try to take it day by day. Trust that he is being well cared for; those NICU doctors and nurses are amazing. Try to rest and stay positive. God is good, and prayers get answered!
Heather
Jill,
I just read the news - first off, congratulations on the new little man in your life!! He's a cutie! I'm glad he's doing well, but will pray for you and your sons healing and recovery. Take care of yourself so you can take good care of him - rest peaceful - we are thinking of you both!
Charlotte
Jill & Chad- Congrats on your son Nate!! It sounds like he is a strong little boy (like his Mommy) and is doing really good for being born so young. I will keep him in my prayers as well as you!! Love you!!
Maridith
So glad to hear baby Goodrich now has a name...I love the name Nate. The three of you are in my prayers.
He is a precious boy! Nathanial is in great hands! I am so glad I was able to catch up with you! Call if you need anything! Love, Donna
Post a Comment