Thursday, July 23, 2009

When the phone rings....

....and I see the 410-550-xxxx number my heart sinks to my feet. That's the hospital and they don't normally call unless something is not good. So when I was at home yesterday to let the dogs out and eat lunch before heading to the hospital the phone rang.
Me: Hello
NP: Mrs. Goodrich?
Me: yes
NP: Your baby is fine but we would like to do another blood transfusion. His levels are a little low and we think that may be why he has not been eating so well.
Me: (a little panicked) Ok I will be there is a couple of hours when are you going to give him the transfusion?
NP: Don't worry we just want to get his levels up a little so he will have more energy to eat and be able to go home sooner. We have ordered the blood so sometime around 4pm.
Me: Well are his levels something I am going to need to worry about after he comes home if we have a day of not so great eating?
NP: No we will make sure he is perfectly fine before we send him home.
Me: OK
NP: Oh and we are going to do his circumcision around 2:30pm today.
Me: Poor little guy is not going to have a good afternoon. I will be there shortly to give him some mommy love.

Nathaniel was exhausted, tired and fussy when I arrived at 3pm yesterday. I picked him up to comfort him and get him to nurse or take a bottle before they started the transfusion and he just fell asleep in my arms - he needed his mommy and that made be feel good. We just hooked him up to the feeding tube so he could rest. Nathaniel is doing fine now. The blood transfusion and surgery went well. He actually ate better for his nurse last night so hopefully he will do well for me today.
The roller coaster never ends!

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

How sweet that he relaxed once you held him. We are praying for you guys and can't wait for this roller coaster to end and for Nathaniel to come home.

Anonymous said...

It IS a roller coaster ride and it can be so hard. I'm glad you were able to be there for him.

Jeff T. said...

Hang in there Jill, this is just a bump in the road. Overall it sounds like he is making pretty steady progress.

I know this must be physically and emotionally exhausting for you.

Jodi and I continue to think of you and pray for Nathanial.