Tuesday, July 7, 2009

4 Pounds!

Nathaniel weighed in at 4lbs 0.8oz last night! This is exactly 1 pound more than he was at birth 1 month ago today! Happy one month birthday to our little guy. His feeds are up to 34ccs every three hours and he is doing really well regulating his temperature.

I got an interesting phone call from the NICU discharge nurse yesterday afternoon. She was calling to tell me that during the doctors rounds earlier Dr. Jones said that if we wanted to have Nathaniel moved to Prince Georges Hospital he was stable enough and doing well enough to be moved. The 6th floor of Prince Georges Hospital is run by Mt. Washington Children's Hospital and they are capable of taking care of Nathaniel until he comes home. Well that's all well and good - but I don't think so! They were making this offer because Prince Georges is 50 miles away and Johns Hopkins is 75, so they thought they would be saving us some drive time. At this point our insurance is not asking to have Nathaniel moved so we want to stay right where we are. I am very happy with the care he has received and I love all the doctors, nurses and staff at Johns Hopkins. Prince Georges is also on the other side of the 495 beltway and for us that might not save us any time if we hit traffic. Our thought is why change a good thing if we don't have to. We are expressing strong desire to stay right where we are until he is ready to come home. I would much rather make the 75 mile drive each way to a hospital that I know and love than to make a 50 mile trip to the unknown.
I am going up to love on Nathaniel this afternoon so I should have some cute pictures to share tomorrow.

3 comments:

Andrew, Zachary and Will's Mommy said...

Stand your ground. They want you to think they are doing you a favor. Cause a fuss if you need to.

Maridith said...

Wow 4 lbs what a great milestone. That is good news they feel he is strong enough to move but I am glad you are having him stay there. Stick with what you are comfortable with is always best! I hope his next trip will be home!!

Elizabeth said...

What a big boy! If you like where you are, definitely do what you can to stay there. We had a hard time when they moved Owen.