Friday, October 28, 2011

Dog Training

Before Nathaniel I spent my Wednesday nights teaching an advanced obedience class for a local kennel club. It was through this club that I met many great friends and found local events to participate in. I would teach on Wednesday nights and travel several weekends out of the month to shows or agility trials. Since my pregnancy wasn't exactly easy and I had some complications early on the doctors suggested I stop competing and teaching and focus on resting. Since then life has been busy, I have been focused on Nathaniel and have not returned to teaching or competing. Unfortunately neither fit into our schedule. In order to teach, Nathaniel would have to go with me since Chad is not always home from work or is on travel (not very easy to teach with a 2 year old running around and its past bed time) and in order to compete I need to find time to train Aries (haven't been able to locate any extra hours in the day to get this done). Even though it doesn't fit right now I do miss it - I miss my friends, meeting new people and traveling to fun events. I don't think I will get back into teaching anytime soon but I would love to start working with Aries again and try to finish up her agility titles. I am making this a goal and hope to dust off all the agility equipment in my backyard to start training. Since Nathaniel is older now and able to walk outside without falling I should be able to work for a few minutes on nice days while he watches. Nathaniel loves the dogs and loves to watch them work.

Last Wednesday night after chatting with one of my wonderful friends, LeaAnne, I decided to go to dog training class, take Nathaniel and see some old friends. WOW was it wonderful and motivating! I loved seeing so many friends and introducing Nathaniel to them. Nathaniel loved petting all the dogs and running around the building playing with the cones. LeaAnne recently got a Sheltie puppy and Nathaniel "worked Lucy" while we were there too. It turned out to be a pretty late night for us and Nathaniel was a little crabby when we got home but still worth it for a fun evening.
Playing on the mats with Lucy

Meeting a Visla puppy

Walking Lucy

Serious little dog trainer

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Nathaniel is looking so grown up! That last picture is too cute!

Jeff said...

Which club is this Jill?

Anonymous said...

Dont give up, I just did my first combined test with Jule my horse...bought her when I was pregnant with grace and have had to table my riding activities to a great extent..It gets easier every day to work it into our schedule..Grace rides with me now too! I am so sorry that Nathanial had Pnemonia. Glad he is on the mend. Sam and Gracie