Yesterday (Monday) I had to take Nathaniel to Towson, MD to pick up his new DAFO braces. Our appointment was at 9 and it was a quick fitting to make sure they were good then out the door. Easy enough except for the 2 hour drive each way! The tech that did the fitting said I would need to buy him a new pair of shoes a size or two bigger to wear with the braces. The braces are slick on the bottom and without shoes he has no traction and wearing without shoes will void the warranty (believe me we don't want to void anything - even with insurance the braces cost a pretty penny)! So after we got home and had lunch it was back out to find shoes. The tech's words "buy cheap - all the support he needs is in the braces so Walmart, Target, Payless all good places to check." Oh if it were only that easy! I went to all 3 places and couldn't get the d*&# braces to fit in anything off the shelf. I was so frustrated and at that point decided to go home do some research on the internet and make a new plan. After looking on several sites online that specialize in shoes for AFOs and seeing that they would cost me at least $60 I decided to try Stride Rite this morning. Stride Rite makes several shoes in an extra wide and I thought they might work since that seemed to be the biggest issue at the other stores. We were waiting at the door when they opened at 10 and luckily they had a pair that will work great with the braces. Finally we have shoes; they were not the $10 or $15 I was hoping to spend but only $45 as apposed to $60! Success!!
New DAFOs with cute puppy dogs on the straps
New shoes for new braces
Next step...See if Nathaniel will tolorate wearing them! That will have to be another post since he is napping right now!
1 comment:
Hope Nathaniel will tolerate wearing them without too much fuss and that you don't have to be mean Mommy!
Post a Comment