Nathaniel started pulling to a standing position on his own about a week ago and just started cruising furniture a few days ago (YAY!). Our instructions from our last visit with Dr. Leppert at Kennedy Krieger were to come back as soon as he could pull up and move from side to side. We made the trip to Baltimore Monday morning so Dr. Leppert and Liz (physical therapist) could take a look at the way he pulls up, stands and moves along furniture. They both were impressed with his progress but still concerned with the tightness in his left ankle, pronating his left foot and his need to stand on his toes instead of flat footed. Dr. Leppert did diagnose Nathaniel with mild Cerebral Palsy but said he should out grow it by the time he is 7 or 8. Chances are with the help of braces now he will not be affected as he gets older. The only areas that it is noticeable right now are his ankles which creates toe walking. Lots of children toe walk but because Nathaniel's ankles are tight if he doesn't learn to walk heel toe now the tendons won't grow and develop properly. Dr. Leppert and Liz recommended we put Nathaniel in braces to help his development and referred us to an orthopedic specialist so he could be fitted properly. On Wednesday we made another trip to Kennedy Krieger for his appointment with Dr. Leet. She and another doctor and 2 physical therapist all looked at Nathaniel and agreed that yes his condition is very mild but they do what him in braces part-time to see if we can't get him to put his heels down. They made cast of his feet, ankles and calf so the braces can be made and we should get them in about 3 weeks. He will only need to wear them during our PT sessions to start with so only a couple hours a day.
Cerebral palsy is very common among preemies and Nathaniel did have a couple of abnormal and normal brain scans while in the NICU. We have the option to do an MRI to see if anything shows up but according to the doctors it won't change the way they treat Nathaniel so the MRI would be for educational and informational purposes only. I'm not sure if we are going to put Nathaniel through anesthesia and an MRI yet but will discuss further at the end of January when we go back to Kennedy Krieger. Needless to say this week has been a bit of an emotional time for me. I knew the diagnosis was a good possibility but until you see it written on paper reality doesn't really set in. I am very thankful that Nathaniel's condition is so mild and chances are he won't be affected by cerebral palsy as he gets older. Every mother wants the best for her child and I am no different. To look at Nathaniel you would never know he has this condition and I don't want it to interfere with his childhood. I want him to be able to run and play with his friends and I want him to grow up and do anything and everything he wants. I am so grateful to the wonderful staff of doctors and therapist who have been so proactive with Nathaniel's care. It's because of them we have diagnosed early and therefore Nathaniel has an even better chance of "out growing" this condition. I just hope and pray that our little boy will be able to enjoy life to the fullest and we plan to do what we can to make it possible for him to achieve whatever he dreams.
Such a sweet boy but would really like me to stop taking so many pictures!
3 comments:
He is a beautiful child an oh, so lucky to have such diligent, loving parents. You and Chad are on top of this and I know that everything is going work out just fine for Nathaniel.
Love to you all,
I agree with Jeff. We are praying for all of you through this. How exciting that he is pulling up and cruising!! Hugs!
Will be praying for you. I know it's tough to hear that kind of news, but on the bright side, look at the odds he's defied and how wonderful he's doing. Cruising and pulling up is HUGE. Much love to you! Happy Thanksgiving!
Post a Comment