Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Thanksgiving & Weekend

We spent a quiet Thanksgiving just the 3 of us at home this year. It was nice and relaxing. Thursday after some cartoons for Nathaniel I turned on the Macy's Day parade. Watching the parade is something I have done each year since I was a little girl and a tradition I want to continue. Nathaniel enjoyed it this year and really seems to like the balloons, floats and dancing. Chad smoked a turkey breast and I made a few sides. The turkey was very yummy but we didn't eat until 6pm. Normally we like to have Thanksgiving dinner between 2 and 3 but since the turkey took longer than expected we had to wait. We were all a little grumpy and hungry by the time dinner was ready but we made the best of it.

Friday Chad went to work and Nathaniel and I stayed home and played. I thought about shopping this year but it just didn't work out. I planned to go out Thursday evening with Michelle but our late dinner and her hectic day prevented that from happening - that's OK I didn't need anything anyway. Maybe we will make it out next year for the experience! Friday night we did take Nathaniel to the Annual Christmas Tree Lighting in Leonardtown. It was great fun and a beautiful evening - not too cold! Nathaniel loved the lights and watching Santa ride in on his sleigh and light the great big town tree. We ran into Michelle, Chris and Samantha and walked around with them for a while. It was crowded but still fun and a tradition we all enjoy.



Saturday we spent the day at home together. It turned really cold out but by mid afternoon we were all a little stir crazy so we bundled up and went outside to play in the leaves. Nathaniel had the best time and we got some yard work done! Win win! We also invited a visitor into our house for the holiday season. Eddie the Elf! I started the Elf on the Shelf tradition this year and I think Nathaniel is going to enjoy it. He is so excited to wake up and find Eddie each morning and is trying his best to be good so Eddie will give a good report to Santa each night.


Sunday I decided it was time to decorate for Christmas. There was just one very big problem. We have a 4.5 foot Christmas tree that normally sits on a table in the living room. That was just not going to work this year. I really wanted a bigger tree. We discussed getting a real tree and if I had my way we would go out each year and cut a real tree to decorate. But, with Chad's allergies I just didn't think it was smart to have a real tree in the house. So I was on a mission to find a bigger, prettier tree for our family. I went to Wentworth's, a local nursery, to look at their selection. I also called a few of the big box stores and they had nothing left that I was interested in. So I stood and stared at trees contemplated my options and in the end just couldn't decide so I drove home empty handed. Nathaniel was so bummed when I returned without a tree to decorate. He had no interest in shopping for a tree but really wanted to decorate one. My sweet neighbor offered to go with me back to Wentworth's to re-evaluate. The boys stayed home and helped Bill and Sarah put lights on their house while Wendy and I shopped for a new tree. We stopped in True Value since it is across the street from Wentworth's but they had nothing I wanted. Wendy and I walked around each tree, evaluated the branches and looked at them from every angle. Finally I decided on a 7.5 foot Douglas Fir. I am extremely happy with my purchase (even though it took me all day to make it) and Nathaniel was beside himself when I showed up with the tree for him to decorate. We started decorating as soon as I got it setup and the excitement in Nathaniel's eyes has already made my Christmas!






I missed seeing our families this year for Thanksgiving but there is something so nice and relaxing about staying home with just my boys and pups! It was a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend!

No comments: