Friday, March 11, 2011

Discipline

Do any of you experienced Mommies have suggestions for little ones that bite? Nathaniel will occasionally bite my shoulder or leg to get my attention if he is not getting what he wants at the time. I always tell him "no biting" and explain that it is wrong but without addional punishment he doesn't seem to get it or quickly forgets and laughs and continues playing like no big deal. I have tried popping him and telling him "no biting" but he doesn't seem to understand that message since he will then hit back or hit himself. I have also given warnings and tried timeout. He seems to understand timeout and knows that if he bites that's what happens but I can't say it has stopped the biting. I never thought I would be a "timeout" parent but when the popping didn't seem to deliver the right message I tried it. After timeout we always talk about why he had to go to timeout and then give hugs and move on with our day. I know it's a stage that lots of kids go through but I would prefer it end soon. I'm open to suggestions if any of you have found something that works.
Nathaniel in timeout after biting mommy this morning!

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Owen never bit, but Anderson has (me and Owen)...quite the little temper on him! I just get down to his level and sternly say 'no bite' and then move him away from who/why he bit. It is helpful if you know he is about to bite and can catch him ahead of time and say no bite. Time out so far doesn't work real well with him, but worked great with Owen. I have found that as he is more verbal, the biting is much less.

Anonymous said...

I use a "timeout" (put her in her room) for tantrums which works well for her..she has bitten me twice and we dont use physical corrections either, however, when she bit me on the foot last week I plucked her hard on the back of her head..it was one of those great instant corrections...she didnt see me do it and I am sure it didnt feel good and the timing was perfect. I didnt say a word to her, kept on with my coversation... and you know, she hasnt done it since..not sure if she just isnt a serious biter or if the timing was just so right she got the message...I will let you know if the trend continues.

What in the world do you do to occupy Nataniel all day??? (saw your post about tv watching) I am a very bad mommy..Grace has been watching way to much tv this winter, educational tv only but still...It is just so cold outside..I play with her a ton and we do puzzles and read and all the rest, but I do use the TV to get my work done I must confess! Grace and Sam