Friday, September 13, 2013

Life with Braces

I mentioned in a few posts back that Nathaniel was getting new daytime braces (DAFO Tami 2) and the orthopedic doctor was adding nighttime stretching braces (DAFO 9). Well we received the new kicks a couple of weeks ago and have been adjusting. The daytime braces are just like his old ones and fit great. He had outgrown the last pair and needed some adjustments so with these new ones he is walking better than ever! The nighttime stretching braces are a whole new world for Nathaniel. The first few nights were rough - lots of waking up and complaining that they really hurt. I really couldn't blame him, they look uncomfortable and painful! Nathaniel has been a trooper though; he rarely wakes up anymore at night and although he asks each night if he can be done wearing them he lets me put them on and goes to bed like a big boy. It breaks my heart each night when he asks how many more nights he has to wear them and says that he really just wants to be able to wiggle his toes at night. Poor kid! I know the braces are good for him and helping to keep his ankles loose but it is really hard for me to explain to him how important it is to wear them. The bottom line is we are trying to avoid serial casting and hoping that the nighttime stretching braces will do the trick. Only time will tell when we return to the orthopedic doctor in November.



We buy new shoes with each new pair of braces. I think I have mentioned before how much I love New Balance. They are one of the only companies that make shoes for kids in an extra wide that lace up. I normally let Nathaniel help pick out the new shoes on the internet then I order them - can't find the extra wide in the stores most of the time so I just order a size up from the last pair. Nathaniel's absolute favorite color is orange so of course these new shoes had to be orange. He loves them and I am just glad he likes wearing them even though I am not a fan of the bright orange! At least they make him happy!


No comments: