Moms - What diapers do you prefer? Nathaniel has worn Pampers since birth, thats what they used in the NICU, and we continued using them when he came home. I have tried Huggies and they didn't work for us - leaked! I have also tried Luvs and they are fine while we are at home but also leak sometimes so usually Nathaniel only leaves the house in Pampers. I love Pampers but they are expensive and am interested in what other moms like. I hate for Nathaniel to be wet and he doesn't like it either so we go through a lot of diapers. I see lots of other store brands but haven't bought them because I am afraid they won't work and I will just be wasting money. I would love to hear your thoughts!
Nathaniel is going to be 9 months old on Sunday and while I am not ready for my baby to be any closer to a year old its going to happen whether I like it or not. So I have been thinking about potty training. I know its still to early to start (Nathaniel isn't even sitting up completly on his own yet) but I have been reading my friend Maridith's blog and I am so impressed that her 2 year old son is already potty trained. Maridith you must share your magic! I would love to have a potty trained 2 year old. I know back in the day (when I was little) most kids were potty trained at 2 (or so my mom says). Today it seems that I see more and more parents waiting until kids are 2 1/2 or 3. I am sure there are many good reasons why parents wait but from the economical side its much cheaper to start earlier. I am hoping to have Nathaniel out of diapers as early as possible but would love to hear other moms thoughts on this too. Since Nathaniel is my first I am sure I have a lot to learn and with him being a preemie he may not be ready until he is a little older. Just some random mommy thoughts for the day!
6 comments:
WOW, I am mentioned here. What an honor!! Let me first say on diapers the best non-brand diapers I have found are from Kroger. I know you do not have any up there but it might be worth getting a package the next time you are in NC. They worked great for us!
Secondly, and Elizabeth will agree with this...The difference is Parent Led Potty Training and Child led potty training. I (and E) are advocates of Parent led potty training. That is what our parents did!! For me it started with sitting Wesley on the potty before bath time at around 15 months. It seems the cold air, water running really helps it come out on command. So I sat him there and made a really big deal about it when he peed on the potty. This is all I did until 22 months give or take. You have a perfect window at 21-25 months because children can communicate with you and you can start laying down expectations. One of ours was we pee in the potty, period. Wet diapers are gross. I spent 2 days on Jan 10 & 11th no diapers just underwear and we went to the potty every 15-20 minutes those two days. From that point on NO DIAPERS!! Yippee!
Here is the other trick...never let them know pull-ups are an option. Stick to your guns. It is hard at times (mostly on you). I recommend a potty in the back of the car too (I hate public bathrooms) but it is worth it in the long run. They/We can get lazy and dependent on them. Now, being that Wesley is young he did have one set back and that was while I was in FL. Someone (not naming names) didn't stick with the formula but we are back on track and he has not skipped a beat. I hope that helps. Sorry this is so long. I can email you if you would like so more advice, but being informed always helps!! I have a book (I think Heather has it) called Potty Training in Less then a Day. Great book!
I like Target diapers. They have worked well for us.
PS. Maridith - I'll pay you to potty train Zachary.
My favorite overall are pampers too. My favorite store brand is the BJ's brand. That being said, we mostly use huggies because I can usually get them the cheapest with coupons/sales.
I started having Owen sit on the potty once a day a month or so after he started walking. It was just part of the nighttime routine like brushing teeth. We had 'potty only' toys that he could play with when on the potty, which helped him sit longer. I just had him sit until he was ready to get up (sometimes 30 seconds, sometimes 30 minutes). If he did happen to go, we made a big deal of it. A few weeks before his second b-day, he asked for his diaper off, used the potty and asked for 'boys wears' and we haven't looked back. We nap-time trained around 2 1/2 and night time a month later.
Definitely agree with Maridith on the no pullups...we never used them. I do love the Gerber cotton trainers which we used when working on nighttime training.
It is interesting, I've read several places that since the advent of disposable diapers, the potty training age has moved from 2 years to 3 years. Many of the 'experts' who have pushed child led training have been compensated by the big diaper companies.
I've also read that kids muscles don't really allow them to potty train prior to 18 months and once they get to 2 1/2 and 3, they are learning to assert their independence and are more difficult to coerce and, from what I've read, the potty becomes a control issue.
I'm interested to see if my method works as well with Anderson!
Thanks for the question Jill, getting lots of useful info for Grace. I use Huggies, funny different strokes for different folks..I found I had leaks with Pampers, maybe Graces butt is shaped different. :-) I will break out the potty stool here shortly and start sitting her on it at bath time. Great Idea.
Must share my brag, my little girl pointed at the word eye today and touched her eye..same with nose. Also brough me her letter K magnet and made the k sound. I about dropped my teeth on both! Never having been around kids, I am amazed at how smart they are.
Post a Comment