Friday, July 31, 2015

Lets Play Catch-Up

Hello! Is anyone there? I'm not sure if anyone still checks the blog. I'll just be honest here and say that I started out lazy with updating, then I was overwhelmed with the amount of updating that I needed to post and finally I decided it was all OK and I would just call it my summer break. So there you have it, me and the blog took a summer break! I am going to try and do one long post to catch up. So go grab a cup of coffee and a snack. I'll wait...no seriously if you are going to make it through this you will need caffeine and food!

OK lets begin...

Nathaniel Turned 6!
Yes that is correct my preemie baby is 6 years old. Once again I can't believe he had another birthday and I would like him to stop having them. As a matter of fact I want to stop having birthdays too! Moving on..we had a party and lots of family here for the big weekend. Chad's parents came to our house and my parents went to Jason & Cristine's and they all drove over for the party on Saturday. I rented a local rec center and they put together a Superhero themed party for Nathaniel. It was great fun and nice to have the party planned and cleaned up by someone other than myself. I originally wanted to skip the big friend party this year but that was vetoed by the 6 year old that lives with us!





 



 





 
 

 
 
 

Nathaniel Graduated Kindergarten!
Another milestone that I can't believe happened! Nathaniel had a fantastic year thanks to his wonderful teacher and school. The kindergarteners put on a short program on Monday, June 15th that was nice. They sang a couple of songs, handed out special awards and graduation certificates. Nathaniel got the Outstanding Effort award for his class and perfect attendance for the last quarter. He also earned all Ps on his report card for the last quarter which means he is proficient in all areas that were covered this year - that's the highest mark you can receive so needless to say we are very proud of Nathaniel.



 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 

Father's Day
Chad had a nice Father's Day with the exception of having to fly out in the afternoon for a work trip. He has been gone a lot this summer for work but we've tried to make the most of our time home together. Nathaniel made him a cake and card and we had fun spoiling daddy for the day.

Swim Class
Nathaniel had 2 weeks of swim class right after school let out and he improved and gained confidence in the water. I loved his teacher and we will seek her out again next summer for more instruction. Nathaniel loved class and I feel more comfortable with him in the water now. He is not completely swimming on his own but we are working on it. None the less it is a great activity/therapy for him.
 
 

Babies
I announced earlier on here that Jenny & Chris are expecting a baby girl in September and I am also happy to announce that Jason & Cristine are expecting a baby boy in December. Nathaniel is thrilled to become a big cousin and I am already a very proud Aunt!

Nathaniel and I delivered the furniture I painted for baby Bolden and helped Aunt Jenny setup the nursery. We had a really fun weekend in East Bend. I had to drive the truck down in order to transport the furniture so Nathaniel, myself and 2 dogs were all in the cab. All was great on the way there but Nathaniel must have picked up a virus while there since he vomited 4 times in the truck on the way home. So a big 5 speed with no cruise truck in traffic and a kid throwing up with 2 dogs loose in the cab was not fun. We managed and made it home safely.

 
 
 
 
 

The 4th of July
We celebrated the 4th with our neighbors as usual. It was a full day of pool fun, street fun and fireworks. This year we had a mishap with a sparkler and Nathaniel burned his hand. I must admit it was pretty bad and both Chad and I felt like horrible parents. We treated it at home and after a few days it was much better. He was a trooper and handled it like a champ.
 

Horse Camp
I noticed a therapeutic horse camp flyer at therapy one week and decided to look into it for Nathaniel. The week of the camp was the week of Jenny's baby shower so I was only able to sign Nathaniel up for a couple of days but he had a blast. I loved the owner/instructor and we are thinking about doing lessons in the fall. Nathaniel says he really wants to take riding lessons and this type of activity is fantastic for his legs and core. I have been told for years that riding is an excellent activity for kids and adults like Nathaniel. Until recently I hadn't located a place that would work with him - everyone told me they wouldn't start until he was at least 7. The farm I found seems like a great place for us to start. The owner Ms. Jen is a Special Ed teacher for a local school and she is certified in therapeutic riding. Win Win for us!

 

Jenny's Baby Shower
We hosted a baby shower for Jenny on July 18th at Mom and Dad's house. It was so much fun and I think baby girl Bolden is all set! Jenny was a great sport and I may have gone a little over board with the girly decorations but really I can't help myself! Thank you to all that attended this event. Baby Bolden is very loved!
 
 
 
 















 

We went down to NC a few days early to help Mom get ready for the shower and stayed a few days after to enjoy some family and lake time. Nathaniel and I had a blast on the lake riding the boat and jet ski and soaking up the sun (Chad was on a work trip so he missed this one). Jason and Cristine were down for the shower as well and it was wonderful seeing them and getting to see baby Glei growing!

 
 
 

More furniture Painting
Once I finished Jenny's nursery furniture I decided to turn my attention to a secretary desk I had purchased a while back for a new work space for me. Of course it needed to be painted and I had also located a couple of chairs that I refinished to match that would work great in our living room. I tried a new to me paint - General Finishes Milk Paint and decided on Buttermilk Yellow as the color for the desk. The chairs are painted in Annie Sloan Old Ochre and reupholstered with some fun fabric. I love how it turned out and it is such a fun pop of color in my living room. I have slowly been changing the colors in here and we are now going for gray and yellow with some taupe and cream. Once I decide on a new rug for the room it will be complete.

 
 
 
 
These are before pictures of the chairs and desk.
 
 

Ok I think that catches the blog up on our summer adventures so far. We have about 2 more weeks before school starts. I will try to do better in updating and leave you with a few more pictures of our recent summer fun.
 
 

 
Nathaniel lost his first tooth on June 22, 2015. He was so proud! I pulled it and have decided that is not a job I enjoy.


 
Congratulations you made it to the end of this post! You probably need a nap now...





1 comment:

Jeff T. said...

I read and enjoyed every word..except for the ride home with vomitus :-)